Are you self-conscious about your smile? Is it affecting your confidence? Or perhaps you just feel ready for an image ‘pick me up’? If this sounds like you, then veneers could be the solution you’re looking for.
Used as a way of perfecting the shape, colour or positioning of teeth, veneers are a thin veil of porcelain placed over the face of the tooth, offering a relatively quick and simple way of achieving a beautiful, flawless smile.
They are great, but to make sure you get the best value for your money – and the best results (with no nasty surprises!) – there are a few things it’s worthwhile knowing before you make an appointment.
10 things to know before getting veneers:
- Find a cosmetic dentist that you trust – feeling comfortable and relaxed with your cosmetic dentist is essential. You need to be able to ask any questions you may have and to discuss the procedure openly. You should ask to see images of previous work and, ideally, they should be able to show you a mock-up of how they expect your finished smile to look. That way you can check you’re both on the same wavelength.
- Veneers aren’t the only option – granted, veneers are a favourite for tackling all manner of cosmetic tooth concerns but there are other options out there. For example, crooked teeth can be corrected with braces and discolouration can be targeted with whitening treatments. So take time to assess what’s available and find the right treatment for you.
- Your smile is unique – there is no one ‘perfect’ smile. Everyone is individual and the right smile for you will be different to everyone else’s. It’s essential that a smile is created to suit your face and features, to ensure it looks natural and beautiful.
- You don’t need veneers on all your teeth – more likely than not you won’t need veneers on all your teeth, especially if you’re just looking to hide a chipped or crooked tooth – which may only take one veneer. So, if you’re in conversations with a cosmetic professional insisting you need a full set of veneers, it’s time to change your dentist!
- Colour is everything – on paper, everyone wants a ‘white’ smile but in reality, glaringly white teeth can look fake and cartoonish. Naturally, people’s teeth are either yellow-white or grey-white and it’s important to choose a shade that compliments your skin tone.
- Your teeth will be shaved – to create a surface for the veneer to adhere to – and to ensure you don’t end up with thick uncomfortable teeth – a small amount of the surface of each tooth will need to be shaved. But this is minimal, and you should never be subjected to aggressive tooth reduction.
- You will experience some discomfort – in the vast majority of cases veneers are a pain-free procedure, carried out under a small amount of local anaesthetic. But it is very common to experience a little sensitivity – especially around the gums. It can also take a bit of time to get used to the feel of your new veneers and for biting, chewing, talking etc to feel normal.
- They cost – there’s no point in hiding from the truth. Veneers are expensive. But one thing we can guarantee, here at The Harley Street Smile Clinic, is that they are worth it! And we aim to put the perfect smile within everyone’s reach by offering veneer treatments on finance, spreading the cost over 1-5 years. Be extremely cautious of promises of cheap procedures, especially abroad – read our veneers in Turkey blog to find out more about the dangers.
- Veneers are an investment – although pricey, veneers can prove to be a cost-effective option for improving the appearance of your teeth. As, when fitted by experienced cosmetic dentists you can expect your treatment to last for over 15 years! But remember, they are an investment and you need to take care of them. Regular, routine appointments to the dentist will still be required along with thorough brushing and flossing at home.
- Veneers can be replaced – veneers should last for a long time. But if they are finally showing their age, or you’ve been subjected to a botched job, the good news is they can be replaced. And with experienced professional treatment, there should be no need to remove any more of your natural tooth.
Get in touch with veneer experts
So there you have it. A few of the key things you need to be aware of when considering veneers. The biggest decision though, is not really whether you opt for veneers or not, rather who you choose to fit them for you. And that’s where we come in. At Harley Street Smile Clinic, we are leaders in cosmetic dentistry and are here to guide you through the process – giving you something to smile about every step of the way.
Why not get in touch with the team? We’d be happy to talk through any questions or concerns you may have. Call us on 020 7971 1909, , or better yet, why not upload a photo of your teeth and request a free e-consultation for personalised options and quotations.