Been stuck at home, not going out…drinking too much coffee? Does your smile need a little TLC?
Lockdown is easing but dentists and cosmetic dentists are still finding their feet and trying to cope with an unprecedented demand and difficult working conditions. But don’t worry – if you’ve been neglecting your smile there are plenty of simple steps you can take from the comfort of your own home to help put the sparkle back in your smile.
A few easy measures to get your glow back:
- Brush twice a day – ok, so we know this an obvious one but during lockdown we’ve all lost track of things. Amongst embracing our stretchy lounge pants and going just that bit too long between hair washes, we’ll bet that a fair few people are also guilty of forgetting their regular brushing routine. Two brushes every day is essential to keep teeth and gums healthy.
- Perfect your technique – regular and thorough brushing stops plaque building up and attacking your teeth, it also keeps stains at bay. You should try to brush in a gentle circular motion, ideally using a fluoride toothpaste, for about two minutes. The key thing to remember here is to make sure you cover all sides – the inside, outside and chewing surfaces of your teeth – this will help to protect your mouth from gum disease and tooth decay. And don’t forget to swerve the rinse! Tempting, but by rinsing your mouth after brushing you remove any remains of fluoride, reducing its beneficial effects.
- Switch to an electric toothbrush – the easy way to master point two? An electric toothbrush. Not only will this assist you in applying the right amount of pressure to your brushing and stop you being too heavy-handed, it will also time you to ensure you brush for the recommended two minutes. Many brushes will even pulse mid-clean to remind you to switch the area of the mouth you’re working on, preventing overbrushing.
- Savvy snacking – try to be mindful of what you’re eating and drinking to help keep your teeth looking their best. Whilst we’ve been trapped at home with more temptations to hand, sugary drinks, cordials, fruit juices…and yes, red wine and coffee too…are all guilty of attacking the surface of our teeth and causing discolouration.
- Start flossing – and we don’t mean the dance move! We will bet that your dentist extols the virtues of flossing every time you visit. But do you ever actually do it? Well now is the time to start. Flossing is an important part of dental hygiene, removing food and plaque build-up from the awkward gaps between teeth where the bristles of a toothbrush just can’t reach.
By getting back on board with these simple steps we guarantee you’ll see visible improvements as yellow plaque build-up and stains are targeted. But, if you’d like to make a bigger impact on your smile, why not think about professional whitening?
DIY home whitening kits can be bought online but are not recommended and may put your oral health at risk. Whitening should only be carried out by professionals – such as our friendly team here at The Harley Street Smile Clinic. So, if you’re keen to get a whiter, brighter smile, consider a professional whitening treatment, like the one that comes as part of our mini smile makeover.
We’ve transformed hundreds of smiles and – if you’re looking to take the next step to enhance your smile – we would love to chat to you. We have all the recommended safety measures and protocols in place and are delighted to be able to welcome patients through our doors once again. Take a look at some of our fantastic results, or get in touch with the team to see how we can help.