Cosmetic dental surgery – trick or treat?
If you’re considering cosmetic dentistry, we’ll bet you’ve been googling the life out of it…which probably means that, whilst you’ve admired plenty of ‘picture perfect’ smiles on your favourite A-listers, you’ve also read some pretty scary horror stories. Sound about right?
The internet is awash with ghoulish images of procedures gone wrong and cautionary tales. And if you’ve discussed the idea of getting work done with friends and family, you’ll no doubt be drowning in their opinions too – with many people believing cosmetic dental treatments are reserved for either the rich or the inherently vain.
There is no escaping it, when it comes to cosmetic procedures, everyone has their own opinion. But the only one that really matters, is yours.
So, if you’ve been toying with the idea of cosmetic dental treatment for some time, don’t let horror stories, misinformation or misguided judgements from other people put you off. Procedures, such as veneers, reshaping, and gummy smile makeovers, when carried out by a professional, can be life-changing – for all the right reasons!
Here at The Harley Street Smile Clinic, we’ve been perfecting smiles for over 30 years, and it frustrates us that people are missing out on treatments that could really benefit them. So, let’s take a quick look at some of the most common untruths surrounding cosmetic dentistry, to help you decide for yourself.
Myths and misconceptions of cosmetic dental treatment
- It’s a rip-off – ok, so without doing your research it can be easy to pay over the odds for cosmetic density (but take a look at our ‘Veneers in Turkey’ blog to discover why research and not being tempted by the cheapest price is crucial). And, yes, if you’re not delighted with your results then it definitely isn’t value for money. But, with the right clinic, you should always be thrilled with the finished look of any work you have.
- It’s painful – we’d be lying if we said that you won’t feel a thing, but cosmetic dental work should only ever cause mild discomfort, never pain. Depending on your treatment you may experience tender gums, increased sensitivity etc, but that really is it. And, if you do require a small amount of local anaesthetic for your procedure, this should be administered with minimal discomfort – nothing more than a sharp scratch.
- It’s only for the vain – there are numerous reasons why people opt for cosmetic dentistry and not all of them are down to concerns about appearance. If an accident has left you with a chipped tooth, it can be sharp and uncomfortable, and you’re entirely justified to want to repair the damage. But, whatever the motivation, doesn’t everyone deserve to feel good about themselves?
- It’s only for the rich and famous – we have a gallery of ‘celebrity smiles’, not to be elitist but to offer reassurance and confidence about the quality of the treatments we offer. We pride ourselves on providing the same excellent level of service to people from all walks of life and strive to make our procedures available to everyone with competitive prices and finance options
- It’s not worth it – Yes, yes, yes, it is! The importance of how you look and feel about yourself shouldn’t be underestimated. It can have such a huge impact on your overall confidence and self-esteem – and influence all aspects of your life. Positive mental health can give you the get-up and go to make changes – go for that new promotion, ask someone out for a drink. Who knows where your newfound confidence could take you?
The conclusion? Cosmetic dentistry, with the right clinic, is definitely not a nasty trick – so why not take a positive step this October and get in touch with The Harley Street Smile Clinic? Our cosmetic dental work has transformed the lives of thousands of people. But don’t just take our word for it – read the reviews of some of our happy patients to find out for yourself.
Book your e-consultation today
We offer a free e-consultation to everyone. Simply upload a photo of your smile and tell us a little bit about what you’d like to change. We’ll then get back to you with possible treatment options and a personalised, no-obligation quote.
Alternatively, if you’d just like to find out more about what we are about and the cosmetic options we have on offer, don’t hesitate to get in touch with the team. You can fill in our online contact form, or call us on 020 7971 1909, we’d love to hear from you.